Thursday, April 26, 2007

Shishir was here...

I can't really place what exactly it was that created the relpulsion in me. Was it the aerial shots of a packed Dadar station or was it repeated footage in our cinema of local goons running with a butcher knife on busy streets? Or was it the bickering of local trains and the heat and sweat combo that epitomises the city? Or was it a timid awe of the huge mass of humanity that comes out on the streets during Ganesh puja? Or may be it was a little bit of everything that made me absolutely detest the idea of ever having to live here.

Mumbai...

Then there are people who can't stop swearing by the city. Where else, they argue, can you roam around the streets after a midnight movie show and still manage to find street food on the streets? Where else would you feel so "safe" despite knowing that more than 3 crore people are present from God knows which all places. World-class malls, latest fashion trends, swanky bunglows and even stylish cars that seem to swarm the roads 24 x 7, all of this "jing - bang" is the universe for many of the inhabitants of this city.

Here I am today, after exactly one year and 10 days of landing in the "maximum city"...an ex-Mumbaite!

Was it really that bad? Or am I a "convert" too now? Like the millions who've been sucked in by the comforts and pleasures of the city punctuated by its umpteen hardships and struggles. It is really strange that people who've grown up in far away places come to Mumbai and then surrender to it so completely. Many people I knew couldn't come to terms with the fact that I was actually moving out of the city. It was as if I'm denouncing the heavens and everything I'd now get would be somehow inferior to the "great city"! Some gave me that look, "I know you'd be back".

I don't think so...

Mumbai...about a year ago was nothing short of an enigma I'd grown up being scared of. After being there for a year...I am glad, it's now just another city, a damn good one though! But calling it "maximum" would be like "minimising" my journey ahead...rite ?!?!

6 Comments:

At May 03, 2007 5:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said! :) The city enamoured me, the 2 months that I lived there..but yes, you are so true when you talk about minimising what lies ahead, in trying to idolise the 'maximum city'! :)
Very beautifully written, Shishir. I wonder what you will have to say about Chennai, a year from now!! :D
Oh,I think I said that a little too quick...I think I know WHAT you will say! ;)

 
At May 03, 2007 7:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think he'd say he loves it vsp's roomie (but why the hell was i named this?? anyway i'd stick to HD :))...cuz he gets to drink "TANG" very often..


OOPS...foot in mouth!!

 
At May 20, 2007 7:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi...

All said and done ....the truth staring at our face is " Mumabai is Mumbai...come what may" ..Of all the cities in the country this one is the "TEACHER" .... teaches u something or other at every point in time......City that always made place for ppl coming from n number of spheres with open arms... Love it or Hate it ..You can't Escape it.

 
At May 21, 2007 12:30 am, Blogger Shishir said...

Dear "Anonymous"...

Pardon me but I won't go on an glorify the city as much...If you're open to it a Purnia in Bihar might be able to leave an impact.

It's a big and unique city. Period. Let's not over-do the praises...

- Shishir

 
At May 25, 2007 4:47 pm, Blogger kunal Singh said...

2CG,
very rightly said about other places leaving impressions!!!Bombay (nvr liked Mumbai) has its plus points n its minus points and for a Lucknowi Nawab aka 2CG, Bombay wil never be Lucknow...or for that matter Chennai..Tunde ki Galli is calling..WRU??

 
At July 21, 2007 2:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Humor Blog Top Sites Technorati blog directory