Friday, September 29, 2006

Yeah Yeah...Mera Bhi Bharat Mahaan!

Warning:
This is reactionary piece and its not a Friday read!

One of my first assignments when I joined my new job was to help my PM make a kit for consultants going abroad so that their settling-in time is reduced. This kit was to contain briefs on the cultural difference between India and the other country. Business etiquettes, festivals, behavioral Dos and Don'ts etc. During the course of research on the net, also known as GOOGLE-ing, I came across many such presentations etc. for other countries, and then I came across one that told a foreigner about the things to keep in mind when doing business in India or with Indians.

Guess what the first line of that presentation was?
It was quite simple actually. It said..."Whenever you feel things are not going your way, start praising India, its culture, its rich tradition and its deep rooted values".

Even the outsiders know (and thrive on) about the way we place ourselves on this totally hollow pedestal of "Indian-ness". Here I would like to make a strong point to the "guardians of Indian-ness and all things Indian"...I am not a traitor of any kind. I can happily face bullets if my country needs me to. But I am no more in the business of this make-believe patriotism of blanketing all the vices or negatives with a cry of "MERA BHARAT MAHAAN!"

I don't know if it was the movies or it was the beaches, but Mumbai was always this great city for me. Something that gave me a mixed feeling of fear and vastness, coupled with a strange kind of charm. People living here won't stop raving about the place.

"Man...this city rocks!"
"If anywhere in India...its gotta be Mumbai man..."
"...there is life here dude...even at 2:00 AM in the morning..."
"...its where dreams get real..."

Here, I would like to tell those who chant "Jai Maharashtra!" and "Aamchi Mumbai"...that I have nothing against this city and am all for it. But the fact is that it still takes one heavy shower to get the traffic to a stand still. I still have to cross 3 garbage dumps...in the open on my way to office everyday. The roads are good enough to be handed over to Archeological Survey of India as they quite literally are heritage! I could go on and on but the point here is that Mumbai is waiting to crumble. The whole false-glory of the city would just implode under the pressure. It's really NOT great. It's crying...wailing and screaming for help.

Culture they say... Highest number of incestuous relationships / rapes / molestations. Highest number of female foeticide cases. Massive number of cases of religion and caste based violence. Growing hatred and intolerance of other faiths. Huge in-equality in incomes. Islands of opulence and wealth. Here too, I could go on.

The deal is...we must learn to first ACCEPT that things are really not pointing to a picture of "Mera Bharat Mahaan!". We must learn to accept that there needs to be strong action backed by an even stronger will. Stop drawing a comparative picture against the west and then smiling at ourselves saying "Incredible India!" I fear we might be worse, we just happen to have the best hypocrites in the whole wide world!

I am sorry if I could not provide you with your weekly dose of entertainment or be as happy and enthusiastic like Mr. Rajdeep Sardesai is everyday about his latest BIG STORY. It of course doesn't make a difference for him if its on the plight of 7/11 survivors or the living condition of slum dwellers in Mumbai. After all...its just another story.

Don't know what have I achieved by putting it all down here. Something that the so-called intellectuals so love to do..."pen down their thoughts"! Or discuss over a couple of drinks if it's a Friday/Saturday! Guess it just got a bit too much to handle and then smile about it...

Jai Hind!

12 Comments:

At September 29, 2006 4:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey shishir,
well i must say... i never realized that u were a writer... when i read your blog all i could think of was the bumper sticker on the countless autos on the mean streets of delhi... (from where you have done your gradutation... i'm sure delhi has taught/shown u a lot)
100 mein 80 baiman phir bhi
"Mera BHARAT Mahaan"....

i would agree with you on most counts but then the bottom line is always that its the people of a country that make it great... YOU INCLUDED, so dont u think you should change your attitude first... before criticizing the country and the culture...

the other thing that comes to mind is a political party... unfortunately i dont remember the name... but its been founded by a group of ex IITians and are currently preparing for elections in Kerela... every one in the party's top membership has left a high paying job to be part of the org.... and that is the reason I say

"MERA BHARAT MAHAN"

Jai Hind.


and if u can guess who this is contact me on YM/Orkut... or even my cell..

 
At September 29, 2006 5:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey shishir
me share the same feeling about india shinning.... and the how real is it. The point well made was "We must learn to accept that there needs to be strong action backed by an even stronger will. "
Yes and in this it's we who can make the difference.... Individually and collectively...

by the way the political party that Mr. Annonymous (previous comment" mentions is "Lok Paritran"
(or Emancipator of the Masses) Visit their web-site for more info: http://www.lokparitran.org/

 
At October 01, 2006 4:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just saw your blog address right beside your name in the messenger window...
neat writing.... i am impressed.... keep it up and make sure you NEVER give it up...

will read the rest of them when hv some time in hand

 
At October 03, 2006 2:17 pm, Blogger Shishir said...

Dear "Anonymous"...(1st comment)

Pardon me from not being able to "guess" who you are.

I think my countless "DISCLAIMERS" about this post not being a dis-connected bashing of my own motherland didn't register! Trust me Sir/Ma'am that you haven't got the faintest of idea of my feelings of belonging and ownership to my duties to this country.

Your reaction is the EXACT thing I wanted to hit on, the instant knee-jerk reaction of "LOOK WHO's TALKING?" syndrome.

I don't wish to re-phrase my writing so you may assimilate the intended meaning of it and in any case you are FREE to your interpretation. My be another reading would help you?!?!

Jai Hind!

 
At October 03, 2006 11:24 pm, Blogger Viggy said...

Nice read.. Well said.. Quite true..

 
At October 04, 2006 4:37 pm, Blogger kishore said...

Abey yaar,

Itna frustra mat.... Lets discuss the solution, we all know the problem... and we all have accepted it also...its jus that some dont show it on top...but everyone knows that its a problem. if you look to yourself closely, you will find a 100 things which you do and which contribute to this pathetic situation...

 
At October 04, 2006 5:49 pm, Blogger Shishir said...

Ha ha ha!

I'm sooooo loving this...

And I thought a BLOG was meant to be a form of free expression! I didn't know my feelings would provoke so many to give me "lessons in civic sense"!

Kishore sahab...FRUSTAAU kyun nahi? Yahan toh sirf react karne par bhi log seekh dene lagte hain...aap included!

 
At October 06, 2006 12:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a blog is a mode of free expression which is wot the anonymous comments above and kishores comment are.... reaction to your reaction...


the reason why the country is not getting any whr is the misinterpretation of the term freedom of speech... free speech has no value till the ppl it concerns arent ready to listen or absorb wot the other guy is saying...

u dont have to accept it...or concede defeat.... but value it as an opinion... argue...talk...thts how solutions emerge...

ure reaction to the very overtly visible declining conditions of mumbai and the cntry as a whole met some reaction...

free speech gives u the rt to speak up... but humanity expects the right to be heard also...

 
At October 09, 2006 5:32 pm, Blogger Shishir said...

Have been told quite often to listen more...Shall work on it!

Point taken Mithi :)

 
At October 18, 2006 9:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude!!! we want more from you...

 
At October 29, 2006 10:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey shishir... you must have been very busy lately... how was diwali.... happy belated birthday.... dude... lobg time since u posted ur last.... how about an update....

 
At November 08, 2006 5:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

birthday...hmm..a very belated happy bday to u... u did tk my comment very kindly... thts exactly wot i ws talkin bt... but then y no more posts???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Humor Blog Top Sites Technorati blog directory