Friday, January 20, 2006

"Bass thoda aage tak..."

Among the many things I find weird about me...one is that though I just can't ask for a hitch no matter how hot the sun may be...when I am on my bike/car, unless I'm at 80 kmph + or something...I almost never miss a stretched out hand for a lift. No pretty gal ever takes the same route on foot when I am out on the road...is a different thing, but lets not digress!

Today on my way back from someplace, I noticed this tiny little thing...hardly 6yr old boy, barefoot and that typical khadi colour school bag on his back...at the other end of the crossing I was passing through. I can't quite recall clearly if the kid had his hand out to stop anyone who'd give him a ride...but I somehow decided to slow down as I neared him. Finally...when I did stop my bike, about 10-15 mtrs ahead of where he was standing, the young chap looked around to see if indeed I had stopped for him and then only when I nodded at him through my helmet did he start running towards me. I wonder why he was so fast...not as if someone else was gonna snatch his ride?!??! Anyway...he confirmed once more...waiting for me to nod again…before making his first of 4 attempts to sit on the rear seat. Finally when he got in the position I remembered that the silencer would be really hot and should the boy's feet touch it...but thankfully...things were ok. My pillion rider was so tiny that he could not have managed to reach the silencer even if he tried!

Finally I shifted gears and with a slight jolt...started again...

Now something I had assumed in this case was that the lil chap would have made himself comfortable and there was nothing to worry about him. The truth in fact was that the poor thing was hopelessly disbalanced and every now and then I'd find two tiny hand looking for a grip...Every time he would touch me...he'd immidiately withdraw...thinking I might not approve of it...but on the very next turning I'd again find his two tiny hands clinging on to my belt/waist with all their strength. Then...again...as if out of guilt...he'd suddenly pull back and go on with his balancing act. When this happened for 3-4 times I took one hand of the bar and held one of his hands on my waist, in a way signaling to him that it was okay to hold on to me if he needs to. He was only too happy to oblige.

Anyone whose seen the young one of a monkey clinging on to his Mamma's tummy would know what I am saying when I say that we were almost like that on the bike...the only difference was that...this lil chap was clinging on the back! And yeah neither of were monkeys either!

Whenever there was a jolt...I'd pray that my "cargo" lands safely back on the back side and considering that I was on a patch of road where one literally had to climb in-and-out of pot-holes, I am glad he always managed a high precision landing! From the giggles I could make out that my lil friend was quite enjoying the whole thing. Sometimes when I'd overtake another vehicle, I'd notice his one hand coming off me. A few times later I found out that...the free hand was being made into a "thumbs-down" for the traffic we left behind.

He sure was having fun!

Finally...he tapped me to a halt. There were other "samples" of the same dimensions as my "cargo"...I guess waiting for their comrade...who'd jus joined them. After much difficulty when the tiny thing got off the bike...he gave me an ear-to-ear "thank you soooooooo much" smile and waved at me. As I rode on...I jus managed to catch that there was a hint of royalty in my new friends walk as he strode towards his gang...of course...while others had come in a 6-seater auto-rickshaw or "tuk-tuk" as we call it here, this dude jus got off a bike! He was the man-of-the-moment! And his tiny pals were too happy to acknowledge it...

There was something that couldn't quite understand though. Every time the bike slowed down...the kid would shout from behind "...bas thoda aage tak.." (jus a little ahead). Why?!?! Then it struck me...the kid could never see why I'm slowing down…from where he was behind me...so every time the bike slowed...he must’ve assumed I was about to ask him to get off...

Quite a cute lil thing he was...

4 Comments:

At January 20, 2006 11:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as u said in the previous post.. three cheers for innocence

these are the random acts of kindness i love , support and look upto .. these are the small lil things that make us humans such pleasurable beings..

thank god for peepl like u .. who bring smiles on nameless faces ..

 
At January 23, 2006 4:01 pm, Blogger Shishir said...

...but you know..I am not all Mr. Kind! For every act of kindness...I guess there would be 3 naughty ones too ;)

..though I mus say...its fun living a little for others..once in a while at least...

 
At February 01, 2006 4:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i found this blog very good. really liked ur style of writing. i guess u must start writing a book of ur experiences.. i am sure it must be worth reading. iam not sure whether ur busy or free.... but i keep checking this daily.. to see for the new post....
keep writing....

 
At February 01, 2006 9:53 pm, Blogger Shishir said...

...I'm really flattered by your words. Thanks!

To let you in on a "secret"...I would most definitely be writing a book, always have wanted to do that. When?...Is a question I have to figure out though...I shall put a link to the e-book on this blog...Promise :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Humor Blog Top Sites Technorati blog directory