Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Best Things in Life...

02:43 am:
"Dude...wake me up at 7:45. Gotta movie to catch at E-Square. "
"....Huh?...Hmmm..."
"Abe haan ya naa bol na"
"...Zzzzzz..."

Roomies in a hostel are nothing less than family. Mine is however always bed-ridden. It's like we three applied for the same course in the same college but somehow got enrolled in disjoint time zones. How much of his sheet is on the floor and how much of it is struggling to cover whatever it can...tells me how long my roomie has been asleep. Lets not get into how it is when I reach really late!

Now that I had no one to wake me up, the whole responsibility of getting me up in time to catch the bus to city was on my trusted partner for the last one year. Always with me. In class. In bed. In loo...everywhere. The mobile. So I carefully scheduled 3 alarms in a span of 15mts around the time I was to wake up and dozed off.

"Yawn...yawn...Bruce Lee's cry...another yawn" "Ohhh...shit" It was 11:17 am, the exact time when the movie I was planning to catch would be having its interval. I AGAIN overslept. I stared at my mobile. Trying to get an explanation out of him...of why did it let me down. Then something occured to me and I fogave the poor chap. See...what the mobile makers never mention but is a major cause of alarm failure is that the poor thing fails to work if during your nocturnal voyage all over the bed, the tiny instrument finds itself burried under your not-so-featherweight form. Hence, the final verdict: The mobile is honourably exonerated of all charges!

Now here I am. Bored to death on a rare free day at the college. Strolling around the place like a pensioner on a morning walk I stumbled upon a notice in the cafeteria. "SPIC-MACAY Presents Rajasthani Folk Group. Venue: Auditorium. Time: 6:30 pm" That was still 4 hours away but now I had something "non-academic" to look forward to.

Finally, the show started. Simple people dressed in traditional folk dresses that are so typical of Rajasthan and they doled out enchanting performances one after the other. By the end of the 2hrs I was in a different zone all together. I hadn't had so much fun in a very long time. The fact that it was past the 20th of the month and I didn't have to pay anything for the show made the whole deal nothing short of a complete steal! How many times do you get the opportunity to see such a rich cultural performance? It's almost "un-cool" to go by a week without catching the lastest Hollywood flick. But today my ROI was unbeatable...(Really felt like using some accrued MBA jargon)

I guess it's true...The best things in life are infact free!

4 Comments:

At September 30, 2005 3:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Completly agree!Dunno how many times ive missed classes this way; though i will not comment on the clad-ity of my roommate.Hail the world of mgmt. Talking of which did u take the IIM I OLQ?

 
At September 30, 2005 2:17 pm, Blogger Shishir said...

Will you believe it that I missed the deadline AGAIN :( Same thing happened last time and now I'm on a hat-trick! Wish I could still be part of the whole thing...Alas!

 
At October 02, 2005 10:23 pm, Blogger Shishir said...

ROI -> Return On Investment!

 
At October 08, 2005 5:14 pm, Blogger Arun said...

I used to _despise_ Spic Macay and their whole cultural extravaganza thing. Anywho, glad that somebody enjoys watching rajasthani folk dances after all.

Speaking of alarms though. I set my alarm close 20 minutes ahead every night and turn the snooze on. In the morning, I let it snooze for at least 20 minutes (on 5 minute intervals) and then wake up. Yes, I know I'm only fooling myself. But I'm so groggy in the mornings that I figure I might as well take advantage of my semi-conscious state. Its worked for two years now. Oh, and get a decent alarm clock. Mobiles as alarms are a pointless idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Humor Blog Top Sites Technorati blog directory